- 51% of U.S. households own a dedicated game console
- 48% of broadband households have a game console connected to the Internet. 28% of this group use their connected console as their primary connected CE device.
- 158 million smartphones and tablets in North America were used to play games in 2014.
Other Uses for the Console
Gamers who own dedicated game consoles use them for other entertainment media as well:
- 54% watch movies on their console
- 33% watch TV shows on their console
- 27% listen to music on their console
- 20% use their console to watch live and other content
2014 Video Game Spending
- Video game hardware spending totaled $5.07 billion
- Video game accessory spending totaled $2.73 billion
- Physical sales of new console, portable and PC games totaled $5.47 billion
- Spending on used games was estimated at $2 billion
- Digital game spending was $7.5 billion (includes PC multiplayer online subscriptions and microtransactions, casual, social network, download-to-own, online TV game console transactions and subscriptions and on-demand games).
- There are various estimates on 2014 mobile game spending ranging from $4.8 billion to $5.9 billion
- 155 million Americans play video games
- 42% of Americans play video games regularly (3 hours or more per week)
- The average game player is 35 years old
- 56% of game players are male